> Flash Acting really slow
Cold Steam
post Aug 31 2008, 10:58 PM
Post #1

Webwasp King of Kings
Group Icon

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 9

I am currently working on a little website. So far on the stage I have 3 movie clips. One controller movieclip (has actionscript to control other movieclips) and the other two movie clips are animations without an imagine on each frame for about 300 frames each. For some reason flash is having a really hard time handling these two movieclips. When I delete the images inside them (.png files) it seems to be fine.

Since I am not publishing or anything why does flash stuggle running this file?

I am running flash 8 on mac osx.

Any help is appreciated.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jgc
post Sep 1 2008, 12:07 AM
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,029

Could be a variety of reasons.

How much RAM do you have?
How big is your FLA?

those are just a few things can can cause lag or trip you up..

My guess is this however:

PNG files have transparency channels. So flash has to calculate each PNG's transparency channel everytime you run the file, not to mention if you didn't use Save as Web command in Photoshop and are just using "regular" PNG's, then those are a bit bigger in file size each. It would most likely run faster is you used GIF's.

This post has been edited by jgc: Sep 1 2008, 12:11 AM

+Quote Post
Cold Steam
post Sep 1 2008, 10:31 PM
Post #3

Webwasp King of Kings
Group Icon

I have 1gb ram on the mac. I chose to try it on my pc with 3gb ram same problem...

The file (.fla) is about 50mb in size.

I didn't think about the alpha channels...would you recommend any other format that flash can handle better that I can still use transparency with?

EDIT:

I just remembered, flash is acting slow before any publishing or anything has been done. I am not even scrubbing through the timeline. Since all the images are held in a movie clip I am not moving through the images alot. Therefore flash shouldn't need to be working out the .png's transparencies as only one image is actually showing constantly.

If anyone could shed some light on what I need to do to optimize it I would be grateful.

--------------------

+Quote Post
JosephLevin
post Sep 12 2008, 07:38 PM
Post #4

fat man coding
Group Icon

Member No.: 36

Hey there CS.

Hope you're doing well these days!

Flash has never handled PNG files properly. When PNGs are loaded Flash acts very buggy.

That being said, check that you are not using too many onEnterFrame functions at the same time, or consolidate them within one onEnterFrame function.

Any sort of transparency will cause issues, PNG or otherwise. You may be able to speed things up with Flash's new bitmap caching, but experience has shown me that will only be a small increase in efficiency.

Similarly, if the displayed size of the swf file on the web page is large, and there is a lot of graphical change over- or under-lapping the transparency, even if the transparency is only occurring in one place, the performance will suffer.

--------------------
aLL yOuR fLaS aRe bELOnG To uS
(apologies to Eddie)

+Quote Post
Cold Steam
post Sep 14 2008, 01:53 AM
Post #5

Webwasp King of Kings
Group Icon

Hi Joseph smile.gif

Long time no see! I have been good how have you been keeping?

I checked the .fla and have a total of two onEnterFrame commands, so Im guessing that isn't really doing it. I can confirm it is the .png's as when I deleted 200 or so from the library everything seemed to unfreeze.

This is disheartening as Im sure there is a way to get around it.

I did have an idea however (a stab in the dark) is there anyway of using an external .swf as a movieclip. Then I could load it in and change its frame number from another .fla?

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

> Webwasp Flash Forums

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd September 2014 - 06:16 AM